Saturday, October 20, 2012

Oct 20 - Photo a Day - Four o'clock

To a job well done!

 Good Afternoon

It's four o'clock on a Saturday, and we're celebrating a very full day of yardwork with a lovely glass of shiraz. Only a couple more outdoor jobs -- oh, those pesky gutters -- and the house will be set for winter. How that "w" word conjures mixed feelings...

(As an aside, we've been enjoying alcohol-free weekdays, and sipping just a bit on the weekends for nearly two months now. So nice to feel back in control. :))

Returning to four o'clock though... What an interesting time it is. Since I've never held a 9 to 5 job, I'm unfamiliar with the last-hour anticipation that accompanies many people's 4 p.m. These days in fact, it's often the time when I'm starting a new appointment, am in the middle of a project, or getting ready to participate in an evening volunteer gig.

Afternoon / evening tends to be my highest-energy time, which only rarely coincides with others' internal clocks; most seem to be winding down around then. It would be a treat to be sleepy at 9:30 p.m. and bound out of bed at 6 a.m.; however, the truth is, drowsiness eludes me most nights until late, and I don't normally feel completely in-my-body awake until 10 a.m..

Certainly I'm not alone in this out of synch feeling. To the rest of you night-owls, I send a slow-morning coffee- or tea-toast to the fact that we don't live in a horrid dystopia with a 5 a.m. wake-up alarm, where punishment is meted out to us non-morning citizens. Hurrah for freedom! Cheers!

No comments: