Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sept 23 - Photo a Day - Before Bedtime

Maybe it was growing up as the daughter of a dental technician. Or maybe it's my vivid memory of a 1960's bubble-lettered poster mom hung in our bathroom during my grade-school years that read Don't Squeeze Toothpaste From the Middle of the Tube, and Put the Cap Back. Whatever the cause, going to bed without brushing my teeth is practically an impossibility.

Since learning of the chemical mixes of junk we've been unknowingly washing with and slathing into and onto our bodies, I've been doing my best to eliminate the unhealthy, crappy commercial products and replacing them with organic, cell-building, health-enhancing ones. Some of them, I make.

Homemade toothpaste is one of my concoctions.  It's super easy and fully customizable. Starting with a few online recipes, I've added a few extra drops of this (orange and peppermint essential oils), a little less of that (baking soda and salt), and use a raspberry-flavoured magnesium powder and xylitol rather than arrowroot powder and stevia. The base is organic cold-pressed coconut oil. It took a few days to get used to the non-foaming action, but I haven't had a canker sore in months, and my mouth just feels healthier.

For now... nigh' night... sleep tight... don't let the bedbugs bite. And make your tomorrow a Marvelous Monday!

No comments: