Thursday, September 06, 2012

Sept 6 - Photo a Day - Every Day


Here are three things that absolutely make my day!

In 1995, I was introduced to those little green pills in my supplement box: Super Blue Green Algae (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae) and have been taking them ever since. Articles and studies on the Internet will tell you that blue-green algae is everything from a miracle nutritional superfood that releases hordes of natural killer cells (which hunt down and destroy cancer cells), to a deadly liver-poisoner.

What I can tell you is that I consider them my healthiest addiction. They boost my energy level, keep my digestive tract happy (tmi?) and, at almost 54, I take no medication. (Except the occasional Naproxen when I fall off my bike!) The rest of the supplements in the box, plus some fish oil caps, help keep my skin, hair, and hormones balanced--as I mentioned, I am in my fifties....

Second on my Every-Day list is a cuppa tea. The only "negative" (?) side-effect that blue-green algae gave was that coffee began to taste bitter. So, surrounded by coffee-shops in Seattle, I quit! A few months later in England, tea became my morning beverage. P.G. Tips -- either hot or iced -- preferably in a big happy-memories cup or glass, helps this non-morning person lift out of the sleep fog.

And third, I "pull" with organic, extra virgin coconut oil first thing every morning while in the shower, checking email, or making tea. Oil pulling (just like swishing with mouthwash for five to fifteen minutes) is an ancient Ayurvedic practice with a zillion benefits. The main thing I've noticed is that my teeth have whitened without those expensive and sensitizing peroxide or light treatments. I trust there are many under-the-surface perks I'm gaining, as well. And in case you're wondering, no, it doesn't make me gag; the coconut taste is mild and delicious!

So, there are three of my must-do daily rituals. Feel free to share your thoughts or your own. :)

No comments: